Monday, November 1, 2010

Good Times

Wednesday was a lovely day. My kiddos have early out on Wednesdays which, when we moved here I thought I would hate. I've ended up loving it. Who even knows why. Anyhow, SAC hosted a group bowling event. I was lucky enough to be able to attend this event with just the boys. It was great to be able to just worry about them and not be chasing everyone around. My awesome neighbor watched Three when she got out of school (seems like she's always watching my kids) and my awesome mother-in-law took Four.

On the way to bowling EVERY time we passed anything that remotely resembled Halloween they would shout out
"HALLOWEEN!! HALLOWEEN!!"
I think they're excited...

We were able to get to the bowling alley a little early which allowed the boys to eat some lunch before going in. Their choice? "Big Mahc and Coca-Cola." haha. We were the first ones in so bowling hadn't started yet. I got some tokens for them and the played some video race car game that they loved. These two love anything that appears to be car racing related. In fact, when we drive anywhere and I pass someone they cheer and say, "bye-bye" to the car we pass. If I get passed they say, "mommy!!" in this very disappointing tone.

When bowling started we went to the counter to get shoes and a lane. BoyOne and a couple of his friends wanted to bowl together. I showed them how to hold the ball and how to roll it down the lane. Anyone who has been bowling with me is probably laughing right now. Me? Teaching someone to bowl? It's like the blind leading the blind. I have yet to break 100. But my instruction worked out just fine and the boys had a fabulous time. Early on BoyTwo had a strike which set his expectations high for the rest of the day. Unfortunately he was disappointed with the rest of his game. Still, good times were had by all. It was great to see the way BoyOne and his friends all helped BoyTwo.

After a little talking to about how we need to feed the kids hot broth at least once a day so they will grow and a reminder to please keep an eye on them it was time for us to leave. Some of the other parents were buying their kids the crap they sell at bowling allies. Some of the kids had won tickets by playing video games. BoyOne wanted to buy the same crap. I told him no. He, of course, was not happy. I told him we were going to go rock climbing. He told me he didn't want to. Whatever. This morning he was way excited about it. He is reminding me of One. I'm not sure if it's the age/emotional stability or the way they come but they are a lot alike. We left anyway.

Once home we packed everyone back into the car and headed to the nicest climbing gym I have EVER been to. It's the Front in Ogden. It happened to be the day of an after school program. My lucky day. Well, let me tell you. BoyTwo did NOT understand the concept of taking turns, so after every turn I had to physically restrain him until it was his next turn. With six kids, two speaking a foreign language, we attracted quite a lot of attention. Fortunately we were fairly well received. And, thank heavens, I was extremely calm and patient. phew. Finally Huz showed up to rescue me with an assist. Now that there were two of us we could move away from the bouldering and actually harness ourselves and the kids and do some real climbing! They all had a great time. AND the area that we were in we had pretty much to ourselves, lucky for us and everyone else:) We took some great pictures that I'm not allowed to share and some video.

And the perfect ending to the perfect day? Everyone went straight to bed. Ahhh.

2 comments:

  1. Steph,
    Your experiences are so amazing. You are so amazing!!!! Thanks for sharing! I know you are so stinkin busy with having these boys here right now but in a couple of weeks I need to call you or do lunch because I want to know a few more things. I think you are doing an AWESOME job of giving them tons of fun experiences but also showing them what true family life is like. I'm glad you are giving them rules etc. I'm sure it actually makes them feel more secure and loved even though they might not like it in the moment. I am amazed by their gymnist abilities! Sheesh! If you do adopt them I guess they will need to take gymnastics hu?! Love Ya Steph! Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. The whole toy thing at bowling didn't go over well with my girls either. Well, the one we're adopting was fine with it, it was the younger girl we hosted and my biological daughter. *sigh* Being the mean mom I am, I wouldn't give them money.

    ReplyDelete