Thursday, November 4, 2010

A Million Kisses

I am lucky enough to be hosting one of the younger Ukrainians. Lucky because I get to sit with him each night as he falls asleep and he doesn't think it's weird. I trace his sweet little face with my finger and listen to his breathing become steady so that I know that he is sleeping. As I trace his face, I try to do it so softly and slowly so that it will last him, if necessary, a life time. I try to memorize his little features so that, if necessary, it will last me a life time. And then, when I am sure he is sleeping, I kiss his cheeks a million times. He is so little and it breaks my heart to think that his little cheeks probably weren't kissed very often, that they are rarely kissed now, and that they may never be kissed again. I also do it for me. Because I may never get to kiss those little cheeks again. And that would be a real tragedy.

In case you're wondering, I do give him kisses while he is awake, but we all know how special it is to kiss a sleeping child.

2 comments:

  1. Oh....I did that too except my boy wouldn't fall asleep and kept asking for more songs and more finger tracing. He still asks for it every once in awhile....
    Trying to cram a lifetime of a mothers loves into 2.5 weeks is so very hard.
    Missed you as skating tonight, see you tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete