Sunday, May 1, 2011

Friday

Friday night I had the opportunity to go out with some fabulous moms from SAC. In case you don't know, SAC is the foundation through which we hosted the boys back in October. Each fall, they bring orphaned children over from Ukraine to be hosted by families for an exchange experience. Many of the families have fallen in love with the kids they host and have ended up adopting them. In fact, since the foundation was formed in 2006(? pretty sure this is right), over 100 kids have been adopted! I'm so grateful that we had the opportunity to host and to meet so many wonderful, amazing families and kids. My heart and mind have been touched in so many ways.

Anyhow, I went to dinner with four other women who are lucky enough to already be home from adopting. I am so jealous. Collectively they have adopted a 16 yr old girl, a 12 yr old girl, a 10 yr old boy, and a 10 yr old boy, 13 yr old boy, and a 14 yr old boy AND girl. It was exciting for me to be able to hear about their experiences, both from being in Ukraine and being home now. I really look to them for insight and advice as they have just done what I'm about to do. These are some amazing ladies with amazing families. They shared stories about trying to get new kids to change their underwear more than once a week, their kids being mobbed at school, trying to just get their kids to school and into school(were you aware in Davis county that your child may possibly be kidnapped on a Friday? This is seriously a reason the district gave for not allowing one of these kids to be enrolled-even though all the other Davis county implants are happily attending right now.), and rejoicing in the adopted sibling teasing a bio sibling, therefore acknowledging his existence.

It was so beautiful to me to see these women who could have so easily come up with reasons to not adopt, be able to see that they needed this child(ren) to complete their family. They have enough love and faith inside of them to see the potential of their new kids. They love them and are willing to do what it takes to teach them how to take care of themselves, to have gratitude, to get an education, to be loved, to trust, to hope, to be in a family. This is no small or easy task and I am so impressed and encouraged by the examples these women have set for me. Their stories are entertaining and encouraging. I'm so grateful to know them and to have them to look up to.

5 comments:

  1. You will be there very soon, sharing your ups and downs with the other parents. We're so excited when it will finally be your turn. You will have a huge cheering section back in the USA. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was JUST what I needed. Especially at the end of quite a rough week, for a number of reasons. Thank you SO much and I can't wait to do it again!

    And, by the way...I look up to YOU. :)

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I told you your circle of friends would grow at that first SAC meeting before the kids came. Some of my favorite friends are SAC moms & dads.
    There's a bond you'll have with the families that hosted the same time you did and then you'll be cheering and crying with the families that come after you and count them as your friends too as you re-live and reminisce your experience through their experience. (Especially if you're a blogging mom!)
    Can't wait for your adventure. I have hair bows donated from "Operation Ukraine Hair Bows" that I would love for you to take and give to the girls at the orphanage. It shouldn't take up much room (about a 1/2 a big Ziplock?) the only requirement is the sweet lady that donated them would like pictures of the girls with the bows.
    Let me know if you're game!
    W

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so wished that I was able to go. I think I really needed it...wait...I know I really needed it. Hopefully the next one will be better timed for me. Hope things are going good for you. I am anxiously awaiting any news. Talk soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun(: They are the cutest kids!!

    ReplyDelete