Friday, May 27, 2011

Pictures from Day 1-4

This is a picture post. I figured it out! Yeah me! The caption for the picture is underneath it. There is a post for day 4 before this one. Sorry, I can't quite figure out how to turn the pictures.

This is the Ukrainian countryside. Isn't it gorgeous?! I love it!!


This is Huz, a babushka at the open air museum, and me. Isn't she the cutest little grandma ever?! And look at her piercing blue eyes. She told us that she didn't want to be in the picture because she would ruin it because she thought she looked like a monkey. I told her to get her buns over here:) Natasha probably didn't translate that word for word...



This is a traditional Ukrainian home from the 1800s. The white pipe thing on the left with the brown paint at the bottom is their stove that they cooked with and heated the house with. The little bench thing behind it is where the children would sleep. Pretty sure my kids would've loved that!! The bench to the right that is covered with the blue plaid is where the elderly people would sleep. The entire room is about 15 x 12. A bench lined the entire room and that is where they slept. If they ran out of bench room, they threw straw on the floor. Little house on the prairie here I come!! Doesn't that sound awesome-for like a week?!



This is our apartment. The dark colored door is the outside door. It is a double door and isn't quite as safe as some of our friends have had. It only has 3 bolts:) You can see the handle to the bathroom door. Do you just love the loft area? Oleg thought that we were bringing our kids so the apartment is a little bigger. Do you think those rails would pass a U.S. safety inspection? :) I am standing by the bed at the far wall. We haven't even tried to turn on the tv yet.



This is our bed. Ahhhh. Love it. Really. I think we were tired enough we would've slept in that 1800's house we just showed you! I'm taking this picture from the doorway of the bedroom area. We really like our apartment. It's perfect for us-more than we expected!


This picture is taken from the doorway into our apartment. Straight ahead is the kitchen. To the left is the bathroom, you can kind of see the door jamb. To the left is the bedroom area.


In this shot I am standing in the bathtub. Notice that the toilet flusher is on top of the toilet. Cool, huh.



This is a shot of the bathroom from the hallway. That is a washing machine. I think that a load with one pair of jeans would fill it. No dryer. Everything is air dried. Think of the power they save!


Kitchen. I'm standing next to the refrigerator to take this shot. The entire kitchen is about 6 feet wide and 12 feet long.


In this shot, I am squishing myself against the counter.


Cool church in Frankfurt. Can't figure out how to rotate picture.


Okay. So, this is the bicycle bar. Tyler took this picture and didn't zoom in so you can't even see it! When I get home I'll zoom it in and repost it for you. Promise. It's funny.


This is a picture of Huz at the floating restaurant.


The darling soon-to-be parents again.












4 comments:

  1. Great pictures!!! I love the apartment, it looks really good. The bathroom looks pretty nice compared to some that we had. Looks cozy!!! The picture of the two of you looks great. Oh, I am so so so very excited for you to be there. By the way... the picture of the countryside...I never saw anything like that when I was there. Nothing was green! I was trying to figure out what time it would be here when you get to see the boys for the first time. Can't wait. I suppose it will be by our Monday morning you would have already seen them. Hope it goes good. I am sure, no matter what, that they will be happy to see you! Take care...still praying hard for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME pictures!!! Boy, do they make me jealous though! I had to be there when it was a frozen wasteland! Can you get trunky for a place that's not "home??"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really am glad that I am reading a bunch of posts at once right now.. The suspense would be killing me to not see what came next at this point. I am excited to hear more. You were much more prepared than I was! And I'm with Kim, I NEVER saw that much green.. anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my heck!! I think that was OUR Kiev apartment on the way home with Alex! Only we didn't have a bed on the main floor, just the pull out couch. I remember the loft well. You almost can't stand up? And the trinkets in the kitchen? I will have to have Amy confirm but Alex thinks it is and so do I! Whoot! I've been watching for someone to have it!
    I am just home from Memorial Day weekend and had to check on you first thing. I am reading in order so I'm not done yet. Love the pictures but I love the commentary the most!
    Hope all is well....
    W

    ReplyDelete