Friday, February 3, 2012

In the Air

Geez, I swear they plan their bad, bad days together. Either that or it's something in the air.

'Let's mess with mom tomorrow. You do this, I'll do this, etc.'

Tuesday was actually a pretty good day. I was going to blog about it, but then Wednesday and Thursday were a total bust and they pretty much take the cake. I'll try to make it short.

Wednesday, I became aware of a situation unfolding at the junior high. There are a couple of boys taunting/bullying BoyOne and they had a little scuffle. Then, I found out about another time this happened and really, quite by accident, realized that it was a lot more serious than anyone realized. I think that we've got some more work to do on this situation, but at least the admin and teachers are all aware. BoyOne is not scared or feeling threatened. This other kid is basically a total dork. I mean really, who picks on a kid who can't even speak English? Come on. BoyOne has a lot of friends and is quite the celebrity at school and these friends really watch out for him and help him out whenever he needs it. Also, we are having issues with this same child refusing to do anything while at school. So we had to deal with attitude, which made him a little ornery.

Thursday. Oh Thursday. BoyOne refused, yet again, to do anything while at school. This includes refusing to even sit in his seat. He lost the privilege of doing anything except homework after school, including basketball. That's pretty much the worst thing that can happen to him right now and he let me know it. Rough life. It was actually quite a horrible time with him, but his brother takes the cake. BoyTwo? Yesterday at school during recess the kids were playing tag as they do every. single. day. BoyTwo has integrated really well into recesses and while he is not perfect, recess has not been a problem for weeks. Anyhow, for whatever reason, when the kids called out to him to come play, 'BoyTwo! Come play! Help us!' He took that as literally someone needing help, I think, and tackled a boy and basically went ape on him. Everyone was pretty freaked out. Three is in his class and she was upset because she was embarrassed, worried, scared, sad, etc. Two is in the class of the boy who was beat up and she had all of these same emotions. Kids that saw this were crying, it was a mess. Luckily, the kid is physically going to be all right. An hour after it happened, the other boys' mom thought it would help her son to have BoyTwo apologize, which I was more than happy to have him do. The only reason this had not taken place yet was because I was worried that it would be too traumatic for the boy to see BoyTwo so soon. The poor little boy started hyperventilating when he saw BoyTwo, but his mom was there and helped him. BoyTwo apologized and shook his hand and then I took him home where we are still today.

Good Grief.

7 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. I wish I could do more than say "oh my goodness...." I'll pray, how's that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gulp! Yikes! Don't know what else to say...you have your hands full, but are handling things really great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. The support is great. It was a really crappy day. It was hard to feel positive or even optimistic about things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Stephanie. You are a very patient woman. And very inspiring. You've got your work cut out for you but you are truly saving those boys' lives! WHen are you going to be down next? I demand a visit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh Steph. It's so hard for these kids (and harder on their parents) to integrate in a public "no bullying" allowed school when bullying and pecking order is all that they know.
    And yes, what a dork. And not a very smart dork picking on a kid with not only a rough orphanage back ground but an American posse to?
    Boy Two? Well, not sure I have any comforting words to give. Just hang in there?
    So sorry....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate bullying. I want to come and beat those boys up for boyone. You are doing a great job, as always, Steph.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love to read your blog because it causes me to remember all those incidents with our boys that I have been so willing to forget. I promise that this will not be your life forever. Once they really get the hang of life in civilization they will turn into different people and you will wonder how life became so smooth. :) Hang in there.
    Christy

    ReplyDelete