Friday, February 17, 2012

Frustrated

**update 2**
I spoke with the school this afternoon. They have submitted a request to have her tested. They will have a meeting to determine if she qualifies for testing on Tuesday. After that, assuming she will qualify, the testing would then begin. It is my understanding that this would take appx one week. This is a LOT better than the six weeks I had been told. And when I said that she wasn't learning a whole lot while she was at school, I was not trying to bag on the school, I only meant that she struggles so much with whatever is going on that she doesn't always grasp or retain a lot of the information. Also, thanks for the comments. Jefferson, someone else actually suggested the same thing to me this afternoon and told me that they thought a university about 1 1/2 hours away has this program. And Nan, great to put a name with your face:) I didn't think to ask your name that day we met at Lagoon. I was too busy trying not to lose kids, I guess.

*** update***
I have just found out that the testing that is being done for Three to see if she in fact qualifies for more help than she is currently receiving has to 'process' for six weeks before the testing takes place. Seriously?! Six weeks?! Because I'm pretty sure that the school district would not be okay with me having her miss the next six weeks of school and basically she's not learning a whole lot while she's there, so what's the difference?

Is dyslexia a bad word?

Seriously. Every time I say it people get all weird. At school they just kind of mumble and say stuff like, 'there could be lots of things going on' or 'we have some transparencies she can use so that the words hold still'.

As I said in the last post, my insurance company is refusing coverage saying the school should diagnose based on the 'no child left behind act' which I have serious issues with, by the way.

The neuropsychologist that my insurance provider does cover for mental health problems, who I called just to see what they had to say about everything, says that the doctor is booked until, hear this, SEPTEMBER, as in 7 months away and that he doesn't often diagnose dyslexia. When I asked why, the receptionist just said that they don't see it very often.

What the crap?!

4 comments:

  1. My friends' daughter (who is in 4th grade now) was digianosed with dyslexia & addad about 2 year ago. If you want I can give you her number. She lives in Colorado. By the way I am the one who saw you at Lagoon in October.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a thought. You may contact a university with a department that deals with reading/learning issues. They may have a language pathology department, an education department, a special education department, or something like that. They may have students for whom testing a child for dyslexia may give them college credit. Such a service may be greatly discounted but would most likely have access to the most up-to-date testing equipment and may be supervised by more than one person with MD or PhD degrees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has nothing to do with her education and everything to do with seat time. It's a power issue. They get to have her warm little body there and get paid for it. Reality is they don't care if she's learning. THIS is the problems I have with public schools. Not the teachers that are trying to make it work in a horribly flawed system.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I have been following your blog for the last little while, oh how I feel your frustration and at the same time your love for your children. My husband I also adopted two boys from the Ukraine, we've have been home now for a little over a year and boy what a year it's been. I just had to comment about your post concerning dyslexia. Our oldest son is dyslexic, he was diagnosed back in the 2nd grade, and I just wanted to let you know that my sister-in-law is a dyslexic therapist. She can diagnose your daughter, tell you to what level she is dyslexic, give you recommendations, she is amazing. She has been an absolute blessing in our lives. She knows how to "handle" the school system, she can meet with IEP counselors, give you the tools you need to better help your daughter. Dyslexia is frustrating diagnosis. I have found that some teachers and even some administrators in the school system don't believe it's a learning disability, that the children are simply lazy or they are not apply themselves. You are going to have to fight for your little one all along the way. If you have any questions or if I can help in anyway please feel free to contact me. My sister-in-law lives in Lehi, we live in the south end of Utah County. My email address is pysnmoore@aol.com. I also have to tell you I have loved reading your blog, I have laughed and cried while following it. Thanks for sharing, it has helped me so much. I haven't even continued our blog since leaving Ukraine. This past year has been so difficult, but I now think we are seeing some light way at the end of the tunnel.

    Thanks again,

    Danielle Moore

    ReplyDelete