Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Girls, Again

This morning I noticed that BoyOne was a little subdued. Now, neither of us are morning people, so this isn't terribly unusual, but my 'motherly senses' told me this was something a little more. I asked if he was okay and he said yes, so I dropped it. After all, there's nothing more annoying than everything being fine and someone insisting to you that they think everything is not fine...

He asked me to drive him to the bus stop (which is actually quite a hike) because it is snowing. His friend Kyler climbed in with us while we waited for the bus. Right as we saw the bus approaching, BoyOne said,

'_______ no like me.' Only he said the name of a specific girl who I know he likes.

Because I'm his mom and because I truly believe this, I said,

'Everybody likes you!'

He answered back,

'No, yesterday I say to Girl, 'you like me?' and she no talk back.'

And then I was ticked. Not at the girl for not answering him back, but at another girl who I know. This second girl is a bit of a turd. He told me at the end of last week that she had told him that he should tell this girl that he likes her. I was suspicious that she was trying to put him in a position where she could laugh at him, but he insisted that she was a nice girl, his friend. Anyhow, so he took her advice and told this girl that he liked her. And she didn't say anything back. I am irritated with that other girl because now I'm pretty sure that she was not trying to give him friendly advice.

I was glad he told me what was bugging him and I'm glad to know that his friend knows, too. He has really good friends. I hope his day at school is good and that this doesn't bring him down too much. If I remember right from my days of awesomeness in middle school, it's not necessarily a specific event that is haunting, but the day of embarrassment that follows...

3 comments:

  1. eeeeew. I hate everything about this situation. and sadly, the embarrassment his continued to follow me past middle school, past high school, and past college. barf! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey. I think that's slightly better than (and more humble) what I've got;
    We're walking through the school and a couple of 9th grade student body officer girls say "Hi" to Alex. He turns to me and says "See, everybody loves me Mom."
    However, when we were standing in the cafeteria waiting to talk to his teacher I asked him what table he sits at for lunch? He told me "The table right there with only boys. Not girls" and he sighs. Ah-ha! The truth. He likes girls, yes but I don't think they really like him back right now.
    Sorry about yours boys wounded pride. I have found that they usually get over it. I probably sound unsympathetic but it's not my first time to this rodeo.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that he told you. It says a lot about your relationship. You are a great Mom. I want to be like you Steph.

    ReplyDelete