Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Poor Little Bird

Saturday the kids had friends over playing. It was a great day. I LOVE weekends!! Anyhow, we baked, played, roller bladed, biked, crafted, watched a movie, colored windows, you name it, we probably did it. Good times.

Because there was so much excitement in the house, it was pretty LOUD!!! Huz had just taken a shower and everybody else was in the family room when all of a sudden...

BAM!!

There was this loud crash. We all heard it above the ruckus from within the house. For a split second I thought that a pool ball had been dropped down the stairs and it had landed on the wood floor, but that's happened before and this noise was much louder. I walked over to the family room and realized what had happened.

A kestrel had flown into our 2nd story window. When we first built this house, One and Two were out on the deck and a robin did this same thing, only it landed on top of Two. This actually freaked One out, resulting in Two freaking out. The robin was knocked out and after a couple of hours flew away. The kestrel was not so fortunate.

I ran outside, followed by a herd of kids, one with her camera (like mother like daughter). I quickly checked little birdies' vitals. No pulse, no breathing. After recently dealing with the death of Princess when these same friends were over last time, I didn't want to tell them all that the bird had died. So, I did my motherly duty and told them that we needed to give him some time to see if he flew away. The cat was FREAKING out and wanted outside so bad. And, because I have no short term memory, I let him out five different times only to see him beeline for the fallen bird and then have to race after him before more damage was done. Good grief. The kids all wanted us to have a funeral for the bird 'if he didn't make it,' burying him in our "Pet Cemetery." I was all for that, but because I'm not the one digging the grave, Huz opted for a less formal burial later that night when the kids were all in bed.

We're going to need to figure something out about that window so that no other innocent birds lose their lives. Man, they both hit the window hard enough that they cracked it. So sad.

p.s. I have to pat myself on the back for remembering from fourth grade what kind of bird it was!!! I guess my long term memory is much better:)

No comments:

Post a Comment