Sunday, April 10, 2011

A Little Break




My sisters and me, named by birth order: Third, Fifth, First, Fourth

Four, Three, Fifth-my graduating sister (in case you couldn't tell from the outfit), One, Two


Friday evening we took a break from real life and headed to Rexburg, Idaho to watch my baby sister graduate from college.

I know, right now you're thinking, 'what's in Rexburg?!' But I will tell you it has changed phenomenally from fifteen years ago. There is a booming city right next to it called Ammon. We usually stay in Ammon in a hotel right next to where my sister works. Who would've ever thought that Rexburg/Ammon, Idaho would have movie theaters, Texas Roadhouse, Massage Envy, Wal-Mart and more. Seriously could've done the 'Ricks College' thing had this been the case back in my day. We love visiting her at her apartment and meeting her 'sisters' as my kids call her roommates. I'm not sure why it's so hard for them to understand that just because they live together doesn't mean they are sisters. My three sisters have had roommates for the past almost ten years (not all at the same time) so this concept is nothing new... Whatever:)

We only had to stop 3 times for potty breaks on the 3 hour car ride down. (the first pit stop was before we even got on the freeway. sigh.) I always stop though. And I try to not complain too much about it because when I was a teenager and my now graduated from college sister was a little kid, she had to pee on a road trip one time and my dad WOULD. NOT. STOP. ABSOLUTELY. NOT. I can't say that I blame him, now that I've taken a few road trips with my littles. I actually gained the most compassion for him during a road trip to good ol' Boise, Idaho. The would be 4 1/2 hour car ride took EIGHT!!!!! We had to stop six times for potty breaks. I bought a package of pull-ups for the trip home and made them all wear those.

Anyhow, back to my story about driving with my family as a teenager and my dad refusing to stop. I was handed a paper cup (remember back then paper cups were coated in wax) and instructed to climb in the very back of the van with my little sis and hold the cup for her to pee in. Dead serious. To this day I remember feeling really nervous as the cup got more and more full and the wax began to melt away from the cup. Extra gross was handing the cup to my dad and having him chuck it out the window as we continued to drive. Pretty sure some of that ended up on the car...

So, back to our little over night road trip. I've mentioned before that I have bad luck. My little family knows it, too. Anytime something that could be perceived as bad luck happens they whine that it's because I am with them. They're probably right. Here's a sampling of a few of the things that happened during the 24 hours we were gone:

1) hotel out of roll away beds. slept sideways on a double bed to accommodate six of us sleeping in the room
2) 3 kids woke up during the night. one confused about where to use the bathroom, one had a bad dream, one had a 'dry toe' and needed to use my chapstick on it. yeah, i know, weird.
3) because my kids love me SO MUCH i held two of them during the graduation ceremony, therefore my vision was blocked and I missed seeing the whole thing.
4) at the celebratory lunch after, somehow my food was forgotten. They took orders for food, drinks, sides and treats and somehow managed to lose every. single. one. of my items even though they were not listed together. Explain that. Out of the eleven of us that ordered, only my food was not there. Even the girl working there thought it was wild.
5) at said lunch, Four spilled. I cleaned the floor. Three spilled. I cleaned the floor again. Two spilled. I cleaned the floor yet again.
6) same lunch Four needed to use the bathroom (surprise) and accidentally fell into the toilet. Cleaned her up.
7) accidentally left blanket and kid bracelet made for graduating aunt at the hotel. luckily remembered while in the same city and was able to find the items.
8) seriously embarrassed by Four in a public restroom. No details of this event will be given.
9) kids absolutely CANNOT hear me yelling instructions to them in the car but as soon as I crack open a bag of Nibs licorice, they can all hear the bag 'crinkle.'

I realize that some of these things involve being a parent rather than luck, but really? Really? Who else's kid wakes up in the middle of the night asking to use their chapstick for their TOE?!

It was great to get away. It was great to be with my family and my extended family. I love being a mom. I love going places. Sometimes, I even love my bad luck. At least it's entertaining!

3 comments:

  1. Okay...I seriously laughed. And, I want details. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the morning laugh. You are hilarious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie, This is Jami. I am going to freak out. I just got off the phone with the USCIS and they said that our application is still in a pile and it could possibly be another month. It has been there for two months+ now. Dossier is ready once we get that blasted 171H. How do I get those loafers to step on it? I am about ready to hurt someone.

    ReplyDelete