Sunday, March 27, 2011

USCIS, part 5

You are seriously never going to guess what came in the mail on Friday. And no, it wasn't our approval letter:)

Friday was a tight schedule and I had about fifteen minutes where I ran home and picked up kids before taking off again for the night. On my way out the driveway I grabbed the mail. Low and behold a large envelope was shoved in the box from none other than the USCIS. I actually got excited for a second thinking that maybe, just maybe this was our approval and a miracle had occurred. I had my oldest daughter take the envelope and open it for me. I pulled over, ready to rejoice.

It was another finger printing appointment. As in somehow, they sent us two. This one was for a different time and date, but in all other regards was the exact same thing that we already had. It was not, to the best of my knowledge, a request for an additional fingerprinting, nor was it a request for new finger printing due to a mistake (other than their own).

I had my daughter dial the 1-800 number on the form as I drove. What. a. joke. This, I realized later, was a different number than the other paper offered, but that other paper was clear back at home. I was on the phone for almost half an hour with them and it was absolutely non-productive.

They had NO idea what I was talking about. Why am I being fingerprinted for an adoption? ummm... pretty sure everyone has to be, is this the correct number for case inquiries regarding non-Hague adoptions? Yes. We're not sure why you have to be finger printed. Did you commit a crime? Startin' to feel like it. j/k I didn't really say that. Anyhow, by the time I got home they had closed for the weekend. I tried calling anyway, the different number just in case. I am feeling frustrated. Given my new hobby of blog stalking I have found several other people applying for Ukraine adoptions that from the day they MAILED their application in to the day they received their approval only waited a month. 30 days. They've had our stuff for a month and a half. I even know of a few people who had their approval within two weeks!!!!!!! I promise. PROMISE. I am SOOOO nice on the phone. Maybe that's the problem. I may have to enlist Huz's help on this one.

On the bright side, my neighbor just brought over some of my mail that ended up in her mailbox. It was our apostilled papers!! Thrilled to have that back in three days!! That is amazing. Thank you local government. I'll keep you posted.

For now, I want to share something from my friend whose son has the brain tumor,

"The number one thing people keep asking me is, "Well, do you believe in miracles?" For me this is a very tricky question. OF COURSE I believe in miracles. Of course I believe that God has the ability to make miracles happen. Of course we are all asking...if there's a miracle waiting to happen...can we PLEASE have it?! This will never stop. But, all of the asking about miracles really got me thinking...just what is a miracle? A miracle to me is that there is a big beautiful plan, that if we open our minds and mostly our hearts, we can see glimpses. It is a miracle that no. matter. what. we have the opportunity to be eternal families. It is a miracle that we are here on Earth together learning and growing. It is a miracle watching people from all over come together and share the tender love of their hearts with each other. It is a miracle that we can forget all the distractions around us and focus on the true purpose of this life...and believe in it. With our whole hearts. It is a miracle seeing a brand new baby join our family. So, yes, YES I believe in miracles. In fact I believe we overlook most of the miracles happening every single day. I believe that if it is God's will for this tumor to miraculously go away, it will. There is so much peace in that. Peace that only can come from turning our will over to the Lord. Today is a miracle. '...for I do know that whosoever shall put their trust in God shall be supported in their trials, and their troubles, and their afflictions, and shall be lifted up at the last day.' Alma 36:3. -Chelsea

No comments:

Post a Comment