Friday, September 14, 2012

Principal Debut

I'm sure that you thought this would be about BoyTwo, however I am pleased to report it is not.  BoyTwo is feeling quite chipper although due to his 'smell' he has yet to return to school.  I've heard from numerous people that this 'smell' is common after the tonsillectomy.  Holy gross.  Side note, BoyTwo has taken up baby talk for the past 2 weeks.  This did start before the tonsillectomy.  It is very annoying.

BoyOne made his debut at the principal's office yesterday.  So proud.  Not.  He evidently has been perfecting the art of paper airplanes during his English Lit class.  I would never tell him this, but I do believe that the expectations for him are a little high during this class (and while his actions are inappropriate and unacceptable, I do feel that they demonstrate that he has checked out/given up/is totally lost.) and I am working on getting this adjusted.  For example, every Wednesday the class is given 'a difficult passage of literature to read and write a one page typed response to.'   riiiiiiiiiiiight.  

Problem #1
he cannot type.  took a typing class last year.  didn't learn a thing (not to any fault of his excellent and very patient teacher).  took 1 1/2 hours to type a page long paper at the end of last year.

Solution to Problem #1
I explained to the teacher his situations and told the teacher that he would be turning in a handwritten paper instead.

Problem #2
his reading comprehension is at about 1st/2nd grade level.  he was not fully literate in his native language even.  nor had he ever owned or read a book.  reading is new to him.  if the assignment is being described as a difficult passage to students who have had a complete 10 years (plus likely preschool) of education and been reading and writing as long, how is a boy, who has at best a 5th grade education, who still tests very LOW in his ELL evaluations (definitely doing well, but it is a long process), who only last year wrote a paragraph for the first time ever, supposed to be able to do this?!  While I appreciate the value of reading beyond one's ability and also the idea of writing a response after, I wish either a) he had an easier passage.  Note I did not say easy, just easier, or b) he didn't have to write so much.  However, because I really want his writing to improve, and I believe it has drastically, I would like for him to have an easier passage.

Solution to Problem #2
this one's tricky.  I voiced my concerns to the teacher.  Teacher wanted him to at least try to read and write about it, after all it is just a response not a summary or an analytical paper.  Fair enough.  We've done this now 3 times.  Each time BoyOne is super frustrated because he does. not. understand most of the text.  (This year I refuse to spend four hours on homework every night with him.  Unless the school district would like to hire me as a teacher or aide, it is not happening.  I don't mind helping him with homework, the problem lies with the fact that I am basically having to teach him whatever he is doing.  His teachers are all under the same misconception that he is far more advanced in his comprehension of both spoken and written English than he really is.)  He is then expected to write an entire page about how he felt about it?!  Well, let me tell you how he felt.  It sucked!  He didn't get it.  Which he writes, and then rambles on for the rest of the page about whatever two to four sentences made sense to him.  So yeah, not really a solution.

Problem #3
he cannot spell and still doesn't know his vowels.  super bugged by this.  he still thinks 'sleep' is spelled slip.  i would at least like to see him spelling it with an e, even one e.  at least it would be the correct vowel!

oh!  there's a baby deer watching me through the window:)

continuing on...
Is this supposed to be part of ELL?  I'm not totally clear on what all ELL is supposed to offer/cover.  I've asked and been given what I consider a vague answer.

Solution to Problem #3
I need there to be four of me.  One for BoyOne, one for BoyTwo, One for Three (whom I had to go to school with again this morning because she was sick again about having to read) and One for the other three children.  And this is just to help with homework.  It has nothing at all to do with the other motherhood responsibilities such as cooking, cleaning and grocery shopping.  Some days I think to myself, I would love to have a wife.

6 comments:

  1. Have one teach boyone how to read/spell. I'm sure she would love to play teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww...a baby deer.

    In Russian and Ukrainian, "i" is sounded as "ee". It really sounds to me like he needs an ELL or ESL English class rather than a general education or special education English class. Maybe you could get an audio version of the story, have someone tape record the story for him, or have someone read the story for him - maybe he'd get more out of it that way. Maybe you could have him record his responses and then write out what he's recorded - maybe his spoken language is more fluent than his written language. Maybe you could try this out with something he likes first - how to make a paper airplane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seemed to take about 2 years here to get the spelling to match the vowel sounds. Watching the Leapfrog series with Tad helped this tremendously - lots of repeated watching. While it is geared to a slightly younger audience, my older one still liked it. It's catchy enough that the sounds seem to sink in. I'm happy to send the video to you if you'd like and here is a link to what I am talking about: http://shop.leapfrog.com/leapfrog/jump/Talking-Words-Factory-DVD/productDetail/Learning-DVDs/lfprod21224/cat80050

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I am so with you on wanting a wife. My mom has told me for years that she'd really like a "wife" to do all those things and she could just do what she wanted. LOL

    I'm having similar issues with Ira. "This" is still spelled d-i-s and other such things. And I so have a problem having to teach everything that she is supposed to be learning in school. I worry about math but when I went in to talk to the counselor yesterday I got sent to another math teacher and then to Ira's teacher too. Never once did I get a super clear answer on what might help her.

    And holy cow. I love your nose post. All talents are for a reason, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my...I am so with you on this one! School is killing me this year. My full time job is interfering with my ability to do my 8th grade homework. Serious!!

    Nick's Bible teacher (he goes to parochial school) thinks Nick can do the same assignments everyone else can do in class. I asked for modifications and when I finally got a reply was told, let's just continue to try to have him do the regular assignments. My reply, "since he is reading English at a pre-1st grade level, I hope you understand that he cannot do any assignments that require reading or writing independently. If he brings it home and is able to communicate to me what needs to be done, I will continue to try to help him." Grrrr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachael! I'm so glad to hear from you!! I've been wondering how things are going for you all. I am hating the 'continue to try doing the regular assignments' bit. Another line that I don't like is 'he really does understand this' when quite clearly, he does not.

      Delete