Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Advice?

Anybody have any experience with this?

BoyTwo initially appears to be fully functioning and even somehow tests fairly well, and therefore doesn't seem to qualify for any sort of OT.  It was very clear to me that he needed real help/intervention though.  I believe he had the skills of a 2 year old in most areas.  While frustrating, I didn't really know of any other alternative I had other than to pay up the wazoo for private therapy which was not an option.  So, instead, I've worked extensively with him to help him be able to feed himself, walk correctly, jump, balance while sitting, hold his arms above his head, loosen his super tight muscles, not drool/control excessive saliva, hold a pencil/crayon/toothbrush, and speak (not as in the language but as in pronunciation and movement of tongue and mouth).  I'm sure I've forgotten something, but whatev.

I have done all of this on my own, based on experiences I've had with my biological children, which really as far as this sort of stuff goes is quite limited.  One of my daughters did have a small amount of speech therapy which I continued at home with guidance from an SLP, so that's where I came up with/got the mouth exercises.  (he came with a speech problem but doesn't qualify for speech because 'he's an ELL student'.  don't even get me started.)  My girls all took gymnastics classes when they were little tiny and there were other kids in their classes that were there with PTs doing therapy, so a lot of the other stuff is based off of what I saw during those times.  Some of it is also common sense.

Here's the question/problem.  Much of the above mentioned has improved and I believe will continue to improve.  However, I am unsure about one very specific thing:

drooling

This kid produces SO. MUCH. SALIVA.  It is disgusting.  He drools, he spits when he talks, and not just a little bit.  He gurgles when he talks because there is so much spit in his mouth.  I know that this is all part of lack of muscle/lack of muscle control in his mouth, tongue and jaw.  He still needs a lot of help with that whole area and now that he's home half of the day I'm really working him hard on exercises to build those muscles.  Is there anything else you have heard of to help with this (meaning the drool)?  I asked the pediatrician and he said that what I was doing was right, but I'm hoping/wondering if there is something more.  I am CONSTANTLY telling him 'swallow your spit'.  Like every two words.  I still have to remind him.  Granted I've only been reminding him for like seven months, but it's starting to feel like forever (I probably say it 100 times a day).  I've only been doing the speech stuff lightly because, let's be honest, there were far more pressing issues at hand.  How long will this take to overcome?  I'm trying to remember drooly toddlers and how long that lasted but it seems like it was only a couple months when they were getting their first few teeth in.  So, not a very helpful comparison. 

 Anybody?  Anything??



4 comments:

  1. Not sure if this helps you but my son drooled and spit alot before he got his tonsils out. (Got those out because he was always sick with strep.) Now he no longer drools or spits when talking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kind of what I was thinking. Maybe it's an symptom of something else. Maybe a good physical is what he needs. If that happens, I can't wait for the blog entry the next day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh, good to know! He actually just had his tonsils taken out last week because he snores like an 80 yr old man (no kidding. none of the kids wanted him sleeping upstairs. our bedroom is downstairs and we could hear him snoring in our room) and because his tonsils were obstructing his airway even when he was awake. Seriously. They were huge. Like you couldn't see down his throat at all huge. Maybe the whole drool thing will go away now and it will be a nice bonus to the tonsillectomy! Wouldn't that be great! Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this:
    http://www.ehow.com/about_5114910_causes-excessive-saliva_.html
    I also read this:
    http://wikiparenting.parentsconnect.com/wiki/Drooling%2C_Excessive
    I also read that chewing gum may be a good mouth muscle strengthener without having to actually do anything. This may also cause more saliva and may result in gum under the table or in the carpet.

    ReplyDelete