Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Really?

So, I'm just wondering if maybe the orphanage director wanted to send her own children on a really sweet vacation and snuck in the two kids I'm hosting. I do realize that we're in what could be referred to as the "honeymoon" period. And honestly, what can go wrong in a day and a half?

BoyOne is SO smart. And seriously the best big brother I could imagine. As I had mentioned before, although the boys are biological brothers, they are kept in separate quarters because of their age difference. Sad, I know. Every parent's nightmare to have their children split up if something were to happen to them. But hey, they see each other sometimes in the play yard.

BoyOne can speak, read, and write Russian and Ukrainian. And, he has been studying English at the orphanage. He can count, he knows the alphabet and can read-just doesn't know what he is saying. The kid is the best 13 year old ping pong player we've ever seen. He can play pool, billiards as he calls it, basketball, football and is, according to our 13 year old neighbor boy "professional" at soccer. He is a little bit of a girl when it comes to his looks. I thought boys would just grab whatever was laying on the floor and put it on and be done with it. Not this guy. He's politely picky about the clothes that we have for him which means he is fine with wearing the same outfit the entire time he is here-which is probably what he does in the orphanage. Don't worry, I'm the mom and I made him change. He even rolled his eyes which I love. I was/am an eye roller and always got in trouble for it, so I love to see it now. I think I roll my eyes about 100 times a day...

Anyway, you can see why I'm thinking maybe they were snuck into the trip.

But then BoyOne told me that he had been with a family until four years ago. That's why he knows so many things. I want to ask a million questions. But I don't. Not just because of the language barrier, but out of respect for this 13 year olds life. A life that has had as many things happen in it as some that are aged.

No comments:

Post a Comment