Sunday, October 24, 2010

Adoption

I am adopted.

I have always known that I was adopted. I think it's wonderful. I've always planned on adopting children of my own.
I believe that we all existed before we came to this earth and I sort of picture myself talking with God before I was born and he's telling me that I'm going to be born by a wonderful young woman but that she isn't married and she really loves me, but she's going to find a family where there's a mom and a dad to take care of me, I'll be adopted.
I say, "Great!"

Then he says, "But there's more. Your plan involves adoption for more reasons than just you being adopted and getting to the right family. As you grow up different people will have different questions and thoughts about adoption. Sometimes, even misgivings."

At this I say, "Really? That's too bad."

He says, "Yes, I know. Anyhow, that's part 2 of your plan. You need to try really hard to grow up happy and well adjusted so that people will see that adopted children are great too. (hopefully I haven't botched that part...) You'll need to share your story. Tell how glad you are to have a mom and a dad. Tell how your adoptive parents are your mom and dad. After all, anyone can procreate and it takes a whole lot more than that to be a parent. Sometimes, as you grow older, you may even hear children say negative things to other children who have been adopted."

I say, "That's terrible! Why would they say those things?"

"Calm down, they're misinformed. Usually by well meaning adults," He answers. "I'll need you to share with them your story."

"Easy enough," I reply.

"And part 3. Some of the children that are intended to be yours will be born by other women, maybe even raised by other families for a time. You will need to find them. After all, they are meant to be with you and are already part of your family. That's a big reason for you being adopted. So that you won't forget about those other children."

"Sweet," I say.

He gives me a blessing and off I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment