Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Taste Buds

Huz received a gift card from work and we were able to take the whole family out to dinner. We are so blessed by his employment and the perks he gets and the nice people that he works with and for.

We went to a steak house. BoyOne didn't know what to order (which we were prepared for, decisions are still SOOOO hard for these guys!). We had prepped him beforehand and then at the restaurant, we suggested steak and shrimp. We knew he had never had this before (and the other kids were all eating off the kids menu, and I can't eat red meat, so my meal was pretty simple=cheap) and were excited for him to try it. He's been here for six months and I thought his taste buds were ready for this new adventure.

We were wrong. He gagged and acted as though we were feeding him the fish head broth that he used to eat at the orphanage (that didn't make him gag) haha. It was pretty funny, although I don't know that I would have thought so if I had prepared the meal or paid for it...

I find it so fascinating how their taste buds are so underdeveloped. Even within their own country they hadn't ever eaten basic foods and had no real idea what 'Ukrainian Cuisine' was. It's been fun to watch them broaden their food likes.

I also can't wait to remind BoyOne that he 'big no likes' steak and shrimp should he ever try to eat it again:)

2 comments:

  1. That is funny! My son LOVES steak. My sister made him a steak on the grill last summer during hosting, and I think it was his first. But he loved it so much (or maybe the "idea" of it) that he had to call his friend (also being hosted) and tell her. He's had it a couple times since home at restaurants and it's heaven to him. Which is even funnier to me because we are vegetarian! And I ended up with such a carnivore for a son!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so right! Alex wouldn't eat read meat. Roast, steak nothing but hamburger. Now he loves it!
    I went all out a couple of years ago for Ukraine Christmas and made 12 authentic dishes - the only one he had ever had was Borscht. I kept asking him, what about this? What about that? And he told me, "Mom, I lived in orphanage. We no have this." Good. Because I never want to make all that food again. Way to labor intensive!
    Alex has adjusted well to American cuisine. He even eats peanut butter now. (He really hated it before.) Boy One will too and it will be fun to remind him how much he detested it the first time!

    ReplyDelete