Sunday, April 15, 2012

Fire Station and Paska

Don't worry, these two things are not in the same story.


This is BoyOne with one of his good friends at a church activity at the fire station. The boys were able to try on the fire gear if they wanted and even had a shot at holding the fire hose while it was shooting water. Huz took video of this and holy cow was it hilarious!! I'm sure you can picture how a fire hose would be flipping all over the place if it was turned on and had no one holding the end of it? Well, that's basically what it still looked like. haha:)


This is my beautiful Paska that I made for the boys as per their request. They told me it was a bread, but then AFTER I had made it (it raises three times) told me it wasn't right. What I figured out is that theirs is just waaaay drier (and I thought this was already dry), baked in a coffee can, not decorative, and they use a white frosting, I used a glaze. It sort of tasted to me like bland cinnamon roll dough, minus the cinnamon and sugar. My friend Wendy, whose adopted son has been home a few years, is a pro at this bread and I saw on her blog what the boys were looking for. Coincidentally, I had used the same online recipe as she had. Only she knew to bake it to look like a cylinder and to frost it. Next year I'll know better what to do. She also suggested I make two loaves. One dry as all get out for the boys and one more moist for us. Everybody still had some of this bread and BoyOne was very nice about it, even though it wasn't what he had hoped for. BoyTwo on the other hand will quite literally eat anything and doesn't really have a memory of Ukrainian Paska.

1 comment:

  1. It's really confusing because if you google this is exactly what you will find. I just happend to be in Ukraine during Easter I knew it was cooked in coffee cans and frosted on one end. I added more sugar this year and everyone loved it. I also just cool it in round pans because I don't have any coffee cans.
    Next year I would like to make it in muffin tins so there is more frosting per piece ? I will make one traditiona of course-l and then individual ones?

    ReplyDelete