Thursday, October 13, 2011

A Little Update

Both boys were sent to their principal's offices. Again. On the same day. I'm truly glad for it though. I think it will only benefit them to know their boundaries and what is expected of them.

BoyTwo. Huz said it perfect when he described BoyTwo as Stitch from Lilo and Stitch.

"He's from another planet. He's an alien trying to be a dog."

Fits him to a t.

While BoyTwo professes to hate school (he is always chanting 'skoola ploha' which is school bad), he actually asked to go this morning, but couldn't because he has a cough. Now it's not that the cough is so terrible, but the fact that he doesn't cover his mouth when he coughs or wash his hands, or keep his mouth off of things, or talk (or even just sit) without spitting, that is keeping him home from school the past two days. I'm tempted to make him wear a face mask to keep the germs from spreading. Interesting aside, I'm not sure what they do in Ukraine to treat coughs, but BoyTwo has been extremely concerned that we are going to stick something up his rear end to make his cough go away. Don't get me wrong. I'd be concerned too, if I thought someone was going to do that to me for a cough. ?!?! They also think that if he can throw up, the coughing will end. He's been trying to gag himself.

Tonight, BoyTwo was in trouble for hitting and pushing other kids down (shocking I know) and when I asked him to sit on the stairs for a little time out, he screamed at me, in English, 'BoyTwo no sleep!' I guess when I pointed to the stairs and said sit, he misunderstood and thought I was sending him to bed. I loved that he yelled in English though! Progress. And he still wants kisses. Last night he woke up coughing and was yelling for me. 'Mama, mama!' How awesome is it that he has someone to yell to in the middle of the night?! I was overcome with joy and gratitude at 2 a.m.

BoyOne is loving school. Loving it! Well, loving the social aspect of things:) His English is coming right along. I'm amazed. He has said a couple of cute, funny things that I'd like to document:

"oooh. Brrrrr. It's ice cream today!" and then a second later, "ice cream morozhneea? Oops."
(morozhneea is Russian for ice cream. he had caught that he had used the wrong word. he meant to say that it was cold)

"oh yes, P and P." referring to how much he loves his PE class at school

When I picked him up from school today, he had rolled one pant leg up. Hello Punky Brewster. Sweeeeeet.

He is darling with the other kids in the family. He is a great big brother. He takes Four on rides on the motor scooter, helps Three and Two with their homework, and all six of them play so well together. We have had several versions of the world cup in our family room, along with tag, 'american' football, and tickling wars. The three bigs like to ripstick together. BoyTwo likes to drive the pink Barbie jeep while Three holds on to the back for a ride. It's so safe. They all like to jump on the trampoline. One taught BoyTwo how to pump his legs on the swing set. It is the coolest thing to watch them all outside playing together. It's all good:)


3 comments:

  1. I know I am a complete stranger, and am not sure even how I connected to your blog....however, I have to say that looking back the one thing I regret to the point of agony is putting my adopted son Ilya in school as soon as we got home to the US. School IS BAD for them. Your son has got that right! What he needed was time to process all the enormous change.....maybe even time to begin to learn English in a safe and accepting atmosphere. School was so traumatizing for Ilya that it evolved into a real problem with school phobia/school refusal that is still a huge issue three years later....but worst of all, instead of bonding with our family, and learning the basics of American culture, and getting in touch with his feelings, feeling safe and protected, he was thrown into a totally useless situation. He was nothing but a burden to the school, but that is not as important as the fact that he should have been home learning the most important lessons of love and affection.

    My other three children, who are doing fine in school now, came home in the spring and had 4 months or so to acclamate. It made all the difference in every way. The little ones who came at 5 and 7 learned English quickly, and in any case were in primary classrooms were the learning was visual and active. Sergei, who went into third grade remembers his first year of school as the worst time of his life. Worse than his mother's abuse, worse than going into the orphanage.... It was frightening and exhausting. Even his teacher (who was wonderful and let him spend a lot of class time on computer programs) told me later that he wishes he'd thought to suggest a half-day. He could tell that Sergei was overwhelmed and that school was grueling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they took rectal temperature readings in Ukraine. Or maybe they had some sort of suppository for coughs? I doubt that, but I know they did medicate! I think Alex felt neglected when he had his first cough - I am not a proponent for cough syrup - I do Vick's on my kids feet covered with socks at night and they quit coughing every time! Alex kept telling me he needed "meeedicine" so I goggled some home made cough syrup recipe made with honey and and vinegar? (I can't remember, I just remember it was nasty!) and gave it to him and he stopped complaining. Funny kid. I have found that Alex is VERY dramatic when he's sick, I understand that most orphans are as you really need to stand out to get any attention. We've had to have talks about life going on when we're sick and that you don't see the rest of the family laying around groaning, acting like they are near death when they have a runny nose or sore throat. Good grief.
    Good luck with Stitch. That is a very fitting nick-name.
    Glad to hear you're having good moments and that they're English is coming along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They sound so fun(: We're going to have to come hang out sometime

    ReplyDelete