Monday, December 10, 2012

Games

BoyTwo is king of games.  I get tired of his games.  I honestly can't figure out how HE isn't tired of his games.  I mean, they are truly exhausting for him.  He sleeps more than any kid I know (8 yr old, 12-14 hrs a day.  That's a ton.) and he needs it!  

Last night he refused to eat dinner.  We were having a family dinner at my sister's house. When dinner was ready I called the kids to come sit down and told them it was time to eat.  We all sat down and were eating and I noticed he hadn't even lifted his fork.  He was just sitting at his chair, sullen.  I said, 'BoyTwo, let's eat!'  As the rest of the family ate, he sat in his chair, refusing to touch his food.  He had this really hateful look on his face and was glaring at me.  His brother began to get upset with him and was grilling him,

'Are you hungry?'

him, 'Yes.'

'Is food gross?'

him, 'No, I like.'

'Are you sick?'

him, 'No, I feel good.'

'Are you full of food?'

him, 'No, I'm hungry.'

'Then EAT!!!!!'

I finally had to tell BoyOne to leave the table (he was done eating but wouldn't leave his brother's side) because BoyTwo was clearly enjoying having this power over his brother and it was driving BoyOne nuts.  After everyone finished eating and was eating dessert, he called into me (there were two tables set up and he was by himself in the other room at this point) that he had finished his food and wanted dessert now.  I went in to him and asked why he wouldn't eat his food earlier.  

'Because you tell me it is time to eat.'

me, incredulously, 'So, you wouldn't eat your food because I told you it was time to eat?!'

'yes.'

and then he laughed.

So he sat there the rest of the evening, no dessert.  This is what I'm talking about.  I had no idea he was playing a game.  Seriously.  Who doesn't eat when they're hungry, when the food is good, and you feel fine, just because someone says to you AND everyone else that it is time to eat?!?!  

That was a new game.  Sort of.  He likes to do the opposite of whatever I say, just because.  I think it's a control issue, but who knows.  Whatever the reason, it's absolutely ridiculous.  Had I known this was his focus of not eating last night, I would have simply removed his food.  Hindsight.  Lovely.

This morning the battle continued.  The battle that only he is fighting, that only he is aware of, that only he cares to fight.  It was time to eat breakfast and he still hadn't dressed.  This is one of his new (like 3 weeks) games.  He either truly cannot remember that every morning, school or no school, he is to get dressed, or he's being obstinate.  I can't decide.

He's comes downstairs in his pajamas.  I send him back up.  He comes down with his church socks on. That he pulled out of the hamper from yesterday.  I send him back up.  He comes down with his correct socks, wrong shoes.  I send him back up.  He comes down with his correct socks and his correct shoes. But he 'can't remember' how to put them on.  He's not just sitting there playing dumb.  He will actually sit there and fumble around like he's trying, but make no progress.  It's so odd.  Sometimes I call his bluff, depending on how many other people are being affected by his tactics.  Today we were all going to be late so I put his socks on his feet and his shoes and tied them for him, after watching him sit there for several minutes.  Then he started crying because I did it for him and he wanted to do it himself.

Next is breakfast.  I made pancakes.  I give him his pancake and put the butter and syrup in front of him and go to put my contacts in.  Five minutes later all the other kids are finished eating and I go into the kitchen and he is still sitting there looking at the same flipping pancake.  He hasn't started buttering it or anything.  As soon as he hears me, he grabs the butter and his knife like he is going to start now.  I tell him that I am so sorry but breakfast is over and it is time to brush his teeth and get in the car.  He is pissed and so am I.  He crawls up the stairs (to brush his teeth).  Five minutes later everyone is in the car except for him.

'BoyTwo we're leaving.'

He slooooowly walks down the stairs.

He forgets his backpack in the hall.  I call him back.  He doesn't get his coat.  I call him back.  He tells me he can't find his coat.  I tell him it's in his room.  He goes up to his room and comes back down without it.  I send him back up.  He calls down to me that he has found it.  I don't do it for him because he likes to have that happen, as a control issue.  Although he is definitely controlling right now, but I'm not caving and doing for him what he wants me to do.  It's so hard to explain.  It's such a joke.  I tell him to put it on and come down to get into the car.  He complies.  He gets into the car and I say to everyone, as we always do, because if I don't say it, he says that he didn't know and that we didn't tell him to,

'Seatbelts on!'

I hear four clicks.  He won't buckle.  I tell him to buckle.  He says he can't.  It's too hard.  He can't remember how.  His little sister buckles him.  

If you're not annoyed by now, then you're a saint.  Or you're lying to yourself in lala land.  Be real.

And that's only the first 45 minutes of the day, folks.  

Baby carseat is going back into the car.  That solves the car issue that has been a problem again for a few weeks.  I actually think he prefers the baby carseat?  I have no idea.  He acts out really badly and we put him in it for safety purposes and he says he hates it.  But then he behaves really well while we use it.  Then he 'earns back' the booster seat and does something else to get put back into the baby seat.  I don't even know if he knows why he does stuff.  

The worst part of all of this?  It could have been prevented if he had been taken care of as an infant, toddler and child and if his bio mom hadn't used alcohol while she was pregnant with him.  His life is this way due to no choice of his own.  That really ticks me off.

12 comments:

  1. Simply stop playing games with BoyTwo, over anything that is NOT life threatening.

    He does not want to eat dinner like everyone else?

    Fine. Food goes in a ziplock baggie in your purse and he can request it later.

    He wants to go to church in PJs?
    Fine.

    He insists upon wearing the wrong socks/shoes to church and making everyone late?

    Don't let him. So long as what is covered needs is covered, he can wear PJs/wrong socks/wrong shoes to school/church/anywhere adn it doesn't bother you. It's his call.

    Won't buckle the seatbelt?
    Fine. Continue to have his little sister do it for him.

    Your intervention is reserved for TRUE emergencies (putting forks in electric sockets, insisting upon frolicking out of doors without shoes when is -20, etc).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who are you? Do you have a blog? I would love more tips/advice. I try not to play his games but sometimes I end up playing them w/o even realizing it until after the fact (like dinner last night). With the getting ready for the day stuff, I'm not ever sure where to draw the line. I think he may have FAS and have read that these kids truly have a hard time knowing what to do each day, they have to be told/follow a chart for even very simple things, like dressing each day. I don't want to haul him off to school in his pjs, which would humiliate him, if he is truly suffering from brain damage. If I don't play his morning ame and when it's time to go and he's not ready, do I physically put him in the car because I'm guessing that he will refuse and suddenly want to dress. Is it just too late now because everyone is in the car? I feel like such a beast! I really would like more dialogue, if you're able. Funny you should mention playing outside w/o shoes as this was an issue all last winter...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a blog, but can recommend a few you might find helpful:

      easytolovebut.com - it's from a non-fiction book called "Easy to Love but Hard to Raise"; Adrienne (one of the editors) has an 8 year old boy, who has FAS, who was adopted from Russia and who sounds a lot like your BoyTwo. She's got a great Facebook group too (just google the book title + facebook to find it).

      welcometomybrain.net - it's written by a mom called Christine who has several adopted children with RAD and PTSD, who attempt to use lots of "controlling" behaviors similar to those of kiddos with FAS.

      theoddmom.blogspot.com - has a little boy with ADD and ODD and good suggestions on on picking your battles.

      ***********************

      My inclination would still be to restrict your battles with BoyTwo to the things that are life-threatening. (And if he's small enough to lift into the car, go for it. Pretend he's a toddler).

      PJs to school? The humiliation is his CHOICE (not yours), regardless of brain damage. You could:

      - buy him a couple of cheap sweatsuits (under $15 from Walmart or Old Navy or a thrift shop)to wear as warm winter PJs - you can let him "win" the PJ battle each day AND he's less likely to get teased, i.e. since other kids wear sweatsuits to school.

      - have him shower at night, put on his clothes for school for the next day and sleep in them. Then go to schoo as-is.

      Let him win on the little stuff.

      I'd never, ever send him to bed without food or make him skip a meal - he was likely hungry in the orphanage and you want to meet his physical needs. If he won't eat dinner, options are 1. food in ziplock bag to eat later or 2. PBJ (or some other quick food you have on hand). If he wants to eat his meal not at dinnertime with the family, he's welcome to quietly eat it alone at the kitchen table at his convenience. Playing dinner time games is much less fun if you get ZERO attention for it.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the blog suggestions. I don't facebook but I may need to breakdown in the future just to access this type of stuff and other resources that could help with my daughters. Dinnertime is usually pretty noneventful. Only lately has he been playing little games again. I really don't know what's going on in his head. Sometimes I can kind of guess at it, other times I have no idea where he is coming from. His brother is the one engaging with him lately over dinnertime issues which is what I need to eliminate because it ends up giving him that control that he's after. I worry about anything that involves humiliation because that's how they do things in the orphanages. I really try to be careful so I don't become one of 'them'. I think he's still expecting some sort of fail.

      Delete
  3. I agree with Kylie because this is what I'm living right now, only my child is biological, is perfectly normal, has a loving family, etc. I've had to learn tough love and to pick my battles just for my own sanity. I was trying to be the super mom and have the perfect family with the obedient or perfect kids but in reality those things I got upset about which were the same ones you referred about above were stressing me out. She didn't want what I fixed for supper one night so I let her fix pb & jelly which was wrong because then she expected to be able to skip all meals and fix her own thing. It was a control issue. If you don't want to eat, fine, maybe you'll be hungry enough for the next meal. Don't want to get dressed for church, fine, go in your pj's and be embarressed.BTDT Won't get out of bed and get dressed in time for school, fine, go to school late and suffer the consequences, or have the school resource officer come take them to school.BTDT He wants to act like a baby so keep him in the baby seat until he wants to act like a big boy. Set rules, let him suffer the natural consequences. Mom isn't going to be there to bail him out when he gets older. I find ignoring my child to be the best thing for her. She hates not getting the attention, which is what she was getting with her games. I dont interact with her as much as i normally would and i let her know when she wants to act her age i'll play and goof around with her but if she cant behave like i know she can then im not going to interact with her. I call it tough love. She is oppositional and defiant, wants to do the opposite of what I say. I give a positive consequence to those that behave at school and get good grades. If you don't want the positive reinforcement aka dessert at a restaurant, fine you can watch the rest of us enjoy our dessert and maybe next time we get a progress report then you might want to participate by having decent grades. Once I stopped being so hands on aka June clever then I became less stressed and my child is slowly becoming more responsible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely agree with tough love parenting and that sort of parenting works on neurotypical kids. Sadly, the difference with BoyTwo is that he is NOT neurotypical. While most kid will go through phases (although trying and at times loooong) of opposition and defiance, it does not define their life. People with this disorder end up in prison. These are the kids who refuse to turn in school work because a teacher simply assigns a due date to the entire class. These kids will go off in a rage at someone who tells them to have a nice day at the grocery store because they feel like that person is trying to tell them what to do. This is not your normal or even normal-severe rebellion. Your first sentence says it perfectly, your daughter, along with my bio daughters and even BoyOne, to a certain extent, are perfectly normal, have (has had at one time) a loving family. They have a foundation built on logic, not because they are logical or because of how we parent them but because logical things took place prenataly and as infants. We took care of our bodies when pregnant and thus their bodies were able to develop as normal as possible. We held them when they were babies. We fed them when they were babies. We didn't physically damage them before or after birth. Kids like BoyTwo can't be parented out of logic. Nothing about them is logical so they are very rarely able to learn from logical experiences (natural consequences.) It's unfortunate because I feel like I'm pretty good at the tough love thing so if that's all that he needed, he'd be set. My kids all do their own hair, are responsible for fixing dinner one night a week, do their own laundry (this does vary, the littles only have to do it with help, the bigs are on their own), if they want home lunch, they pack their own. I am available for help if they need it and request it in a timely manner (not when we're flying out the door for school and they suddenly remember they don't like the school lunch that day, too bad. or at 11 o'clock at night and they have homework that they forgot about). They have gone to church without shoes on, school/church without hair done, and most recently an entire week without underwear and socks-I won't name the culprit-because he/she wouldn't/didn't do their laundry. I'm don't care about looking like a perfect family, anyone who knows us can clearly see that we are far from, only with not being turned into DCFS for some crazy mess that BoyTwo lies about or creates and not having my kids (namely BoyTwo) end up in prison. It's such a sticky mess sometimes... I will say that I'm willing to try the pajamas to school thing, maybe. I worry about anything that involves humiliation as that is the way things are run in orphanages, and clearly they have little success. I have to be careful so as to not allow myself to be clumped with 'them' because I believe that is ultimately what he is wanting/expecting/trying to expedite.

      Delete
    2. I guess I didn't explain myself well. She has a normal family and grew up with a normal life but she is ADD and ODD. Her symptoms seem to be onset with us relocating to a different state. It was like a light switch was flipped and changed this child almost overnight. She doesnt turn in homework or projects. She went from straight A's to F's when this started. We've done the court thing because of her behavior. She's not afraid of the police or anyone in authority. We've gone to many therapists that suggested group homes. She was defiant to a police officer and has become violent with us. She lies and twists things all the time. She has even screamed abuse which has been traumatic for us just because of the serious nature of her lies plus the hurt you feel from your child manipulative behavior. We can't reason through logic with our daughter either. However finding a great psychiatrist that listens and doesn't automatically judge was the key to helping her. She's now on Depakote and Prozac. It helps but we don't dare let our guard down. She literally controls the mood of everyone in our house depending on how she behaves that day. We say with her that living with her is like a box of chocolates. You never know what your going to get. I had hyperemis graviduram during my entire pregnancy, lost 50 pounds. That may be a factor in her issues. The things we've done have been at the recommendation of her psychiatrist. Most things simply don't work for her but we keep on keeping on because she's worth it. Our other child is totally different. This is simply a neurological issue but society doesn't care if you have a disability that's in your brain. She's thirteen but acts like she is a toddler, literally. She has to be told every step to make with all daily activities. She can't be trusted with knives, medications, etc. Its a sad life to live for her and us. You just have to keep fighting for your child because you know them more than anyone else. What works for some may not work for others. At this stage in our lives, natural consequences help some...and I say that somewhat loosely. Just keep praying for him, loving him, and being consistent with consequences.

      Delete
    3. I'm really sorry about your daughter. Sad for you and her and your family. It's scary to never know what they are going to say to whom. BoyTwo has tried that before but luckily for us he told his story to someone who knows us and him well and didn't buy into his story. I had HG, too with my first three pregnancies, not as severe as yours sounds though. My worst pregnancies were two and three and I think that It must have something to do with their problems (namely two's SPD). If you haven't already seen them, check out the websites that were mentioned above. I've really liked them so far. Anyhow, you mentioned that your daughter has to be told every step with daily activities. I'm wondering about the extent to which you take this? For example, with BoyTwo I get frustrated that every. single. day I/we have to tell him to dress. We don't allow lounging in pajamas at our house (well, except for me) because it confuses some of our kids. Not just BoyTwo. They couldn't figure out what day of the week it was, even with a calendar, and couldn't understand whyon some days they could stay in their pjs for a while but not on other days. So we eliminated the confusion by having them always get dressed. I guess I had hoped that he'd figure out by now that every day he just gets dressed no matter what. I guess it may just take a lot longer for him to get that. And I guess that I need to not allow that to frustrate me.

      Delete
  4. The last paragraph is the real clincher. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. My 2 cents...as if you need any more, right? :)

    It's not a simple thing to do, but as frustrating as it is, he needs to know often that you are not going to abandon him or give him away, and acting like that will not convince you to do otherwise. There can be consequences, as the other people have suggested, but that needs to be coupled with reassurance that you're not going to walk out on him for good as a punishment. He does need to know it is wrong, but also needs to know that you are not going to punish him by sending him back to Ukraine or put him back into an orphanage. My guess is that there is a purpose to all of his crazy antics, and it's not just to have fun with you. In the back of his mind he honestly thinks it's just a matter of time before you abandon him. That's not uncommon for int'l adopted kids adopted that age. Instead of looking at himself primarily as 'your adopted child' he still views himself as 'the child his mom and dad in Ukraine gave away'. And if it can happen with his real mom and dad, it can surely happen with his adoptive mom (you) and dad. With that uncertainty, it is his ultimate personal loss of control in his life, and his behavior is him doing whatever he can to get some control back - even if it drives you crazy! He is so convinced that he'll be abandoned again that he is purposely antagonizing you. And it gets worse the closer he gets to you. He feels threatened and out of control, so he knows only one way to ‘get’ you and the family in control is to manipulative you through his obnoxious behavior. If you end up being late, losing your patience, or just having a bad day because of it, he feels in control. Test this theory by watching his face when he knows he has made you miserable -- if he appears to be getting pleasure out of it, that is really him enjoying the self-satisfaction of knowing he has won the control battle. Why? Well sadly, in his mind, as warped as it sounds, he likely believes “I am going to be abandoned again. It's just a matter of time. Only this time I’ll be in control, by causing it to happen!” And yes, the mom who drank while pregnant set the ball in motion for all this mess to happen. You are left to put this 30,000,000 piece jigsaw puzzle back together, one little piece at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andreas I agree with you. The way he functions, or rather doesn't, the way he eats, the wild look in his eyes, and many other things seem to tell me that he s still living for the moment. Some days it seems like fight or flight mode. I just can't figure out what sets him off, what his triggers may be, what we can do to ease this burden of his. You hear about how certain things can set these kids off (like holidays and anniversaries) but I wonder how much more sets him off and why. I feel like if I knew or could pinpoint more of it, I'd be able to help him more. I watch his face all the time, since day one even, and like you said, it is very telling. It's also a little disturbing.....

      Delete
  6. I have nothing to add....great comments. Just wanted to let you know I read....

    ReplyDelete