Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Two Spelling Test Stories

BoyOne has a list of twenty-five spelling words each quarter for his Literature class. All of the students are tested on them at the end of the term, it's not just an ELL thing. He practices them on average, three times a week. I have developed a chart for him where the word is written in English with the Russian word right next to it. I was hoping he'd pick up on some language while doing this, but that was a crazy thought! His practice involves having him say the word aloud, spell the word aloud, then spell it aloud while writing it. He wraps it up by saying the word again. He does this three times for each word. I also give him examples of each word in two or three sentences. That is his least favorite part of studying,

"Okay! Mom! I know this. No talking!" lol. Right.

His test is tomorrow. He has been less than stellar in his (forced) attempts to 'learn' these words. Are they easy words? Not necessarily, but they're not difficult either. My fifth grader can spell them all. To make it fair, and to prove a (lost) point, I learned how to spell each word in Russian to show him it can be done and that the language barrier cannot be blamed for this. His response was to ask me how many degrees I have? Four? Five? lol. All because I can spell license and millionaire:)

Today he came home from school and told me excitedly that he was only going to be tested on ten of the words. Which ten, I wanted to know. He told me it didn't matter, he only needed to get ten right.

Soooooooo, I called his ELL aide to see if this was really true and it was. So, I emailed his Lit teacher and told her I thought he should be tested on and accountable for all 25 words. Hopefully she's on board. I told him he was going to have to take the whole test and be graded on all 25 words. He didn't really like that. I didn't really care. Then, I made him practice the words for quite a while, again something he did not like.

The thing is that he has had six weeks to learn these words. I have broken the words down, shown him the root word, the prefix, the suffix, given him tricks to remembering how to spell a word. He won't even pronounce the word correctly. He does not want to learn it. He does not care. He does. not. even. try. And that is what it boils down to. All we want is for him to try!!! If he tries his very best and gets zero words spelled correctly, I would be thrilled because at least he was trying. Whatever. We'll see what happens tomorrow. Whatever happens, he's not off the hook. I'll retest him at home 'til he gets them right.

That was the first spelling test story. Here's the second one:

Recap of Three's new 'plan.' She only has three spelling words. I told the 'team' that I didn't see how this was going to help her progress, it would only mean that she was learning a small portion of what she needed to and would therefore still be behind, but I was willing to try it. She got 2/3. How in the heavens did this child score so well on her testing?! Please!! Somebody explain this to me. She practiced these words, too. She also tried to spell all ten words although this was not required of her and she was aware of this. I don't know how to help her because I can't figure out what the problem is. I don't like spending the minimum required amount of homework time with her because she is falling further behind. I get the impression that her teacher is equally as frustrated.

the end

5 comments:

  1. Was the testing that Three did so well on administered in a different way than that of her regular testing? My 2nd grader can lightly study for a spelling test and get 100% on it when the test is handwritten. If she has the take the test on the computer something happens between the word being given and her being able to type it out. My oldest had never worked on a computer before starting school in America and she struggles with it as well. My son does phenomenally well on standardized test in any subject but spelling because they are soooooo strict about having zero noise or distractions in the classroom or hallways. Give him a regular test where they aren't so strict and he doesn't do nearly as well. He is on a modified spelling list (he only has to know 10 out of 20) and he still fails. Every. Single. Test. It's frustrating for both of us.

    I don't know what to say a/b Boy One. Hopefully if he can start having some success in that area he might be motivated to keep going and do well. I know with my oldest, she fought it tooth and nail at the beginning, but once she started succeeding she was much more willing to put serious effort into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, Every time I hear about your daughter I am more convinced that she is a genius:) I've hoped that as BoyOne has successes, he'll be more interested in achieving more, but that has yet to happen. I think he is still trying to not do anything, trying to wear us (me) down. Not going to happen though. As for your son and my daughter? I do not understand at all!! Atmosphere is a huge player for us, at least that is the only that I can come up with that is different. The testing she did so well on was definitely administered differently. She was in a small classroom all by herself with the teacher and aide. Let me know if you figure out anything for your son so I can try it out with my daughter:) Thanks for the encouragement and sympathy.

      Delete
    2. One thing is for certain: Alex is far more intelligent than I am! If someone had dropped me off in Ukraine a year ago I would probably still be trying to figure out how to ask where I might be able to find a bathroom.

      Delete
  2. Grrrrr....that is my biggest complaint right now! That they let Alex off easy. He only has 5 of the ten vocabulary and spelling words and just informed me that he doesn't have to spell them - his ESL teacher just writes them down for him! What??? I emailed but his English teacher but have yet to hear. I really think he could do all ten and said as much at our last conference and was told she'd talk to the ESL teacher but he only came home with 5 again. I emailed and she told me she didn't have a chance to speak to the ESL teacher and to just let him finish out with 5 this quarter. Okay. Fine. But can't he at least spell them too???? Good grief!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why is it up to the ESL teacher? You're the mom. I know BoyOne tries to get away with doing as little as possible out of habit and so often people are so willing to accommodate him. Can you just tell the English teacher that this is what you as the parent have decided and that is what needs to happen? You are the mom!! In the beginning I tried to coordinate everything through the school counselor and ESL supervisor, but just bagged it because I really feel that between the teacher and I we can get more done. Plus, it keeps me in charge of his education. If I want him to do 25 words, he's doing 25 words. Unless they give me a really great reason why he shouldn't (like he could die), he's going to do it. Grrr... I hear you.

      Delete