Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Outsiders Essay

For his English class, BoyOne had to write a paper on the book The Outsiders. (I know this should be underlined, but I don't know how to do this on blogger.) Anyhow, this is the third paper he has had to write. While still time consuming, this time around was much better! We had to tweak the assignment a little, given that he is reading the book, but not comprehending it. His assignment was this:

"Many of the children at your internat thought that life in America was very easy. Now that you live in America, do you agree with this? Why or why not? What are some things that are easier in America? What are some things that are more difficult in America?"

We are still working on coming up with his own ideas and expressing his thoughts and opinions. His writing assignments have to be posed as questions or else he does not know how to think about it. It also has to be directly about him. He is unable at this time to make comparisons or to relate obscure things to his own life. Thankfully, once I cornered him at the computer, this assignment took very little prodding. I am so proud of him for doing this!! There was still lots of complaining, but it was the type of complaining that is to be expected. Not the "I hate you and I'm going to make this as hard for you as it is for me" type of complaining. There weren't even any tears. We have seen so much progress. He also is beginning to understand the writing process. We have a form for him to follow. Here is what it says:

"1) the first paragraph tells what the entire article (the word essay doesn't translate by the way) will discuss
2) every article should have three ideas that it talks about. You will mention these three ideas in the first paragraph.
3) the second, third, and fourth paragraphs will be about the three ideas. each paragraph will discuss one idea. You will include supporting facts about your idea.
4) The final paragraph will end your article. You will say again what your main topic is. You will give the reasons that support this idea."

Here is what he wrote:

"In my boarding school kids say in America life is very easy, just sitting around and eating and sitting and playing on the computer. I think in America there are difficult things as well as in Ukraine.

"For example, in America my mom makes me help with laundry, do homework, and sometimes I say this is difficult. In Ukraine, a good mother, but in America, mother is better analysis and pays more attention to us, and Dad also. In America well, very easy to find.

"Also this I noticed in America, not all people are skinny. There are a lot of plump. This is because in America, many foods to eat and plenty of places in the house to save it. In Ukraine, smaller kitchen than in America. In Ukraine, many products are not stored the way we know and as easily.

"English language is very difficult and Russian, too. Also, I cannot learn English quickly, but I am trying to.

"Before I came to America I thought that my life would be very easy. It is different than Ukraine. Some things are much easier. Some things are still difficult. But I have the best and most beautiful mom in the whole world. Her name is Stephanie.

"When I came to America I thought that my life is very easy in America but some things just easier and some harder. I cannot first determine where it is difficult and where it is easier. America is better. And the BEST FAMILY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"@ I LOVE AMERICA@$"

When we were discussing ideas for his paper (brainstorming-new concept 12,382,983,479,238), I jokingly suggested that he mention how awesome I am. When I saw that he had included this, I laughed and told him he should not put this in his paper, but he said he wanted it in there. How's that for sweet:)

I think he did pretty great, don't you?!

6 comments:

  1. How does your son do this? After four years here Ilya simply cannot understand the books they assign in English class. For one thing, they tend to be into trendy and contemporary "literature" rather than classics, so that every other sentence refers or relates to something Ilya has no experience of (for example, something so simple as the atmosphere on a school bus).

    At first I spent long hours trying to translate, etc.....then realized it was crazy. I just give 50% of my energy to trying to help him "get" the content and the other 50% to feeding him reasonable answers and working on his ability to write and spell English. That's hard enough!

    At least he is good at math! I couldn't help him with that.

    Yes; some people here are plump. I think his reasoning on that is very generous. My kids jumped right to Americans being greedy and lazy. (Since I'm a bit plump myself, I wasn't so pleased with that, but they swear that no; I'm "just right"). OK, then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great essay!

    One of my older friends in my neighborhood called me the other day. She was a bit emotional as she shared how wonderful it was for her to hear your son bear his testimony after being baptized. She said it was in Russian, but it was so sweet. My friend has a son or daughter and their family that live in your ward. She called me just to share.

    My two youngest adopted children and I went to the Mosteller's baptisms yesterday. It was very lovely. Wished we could have gone to your children's baptism.

    What blessings we all are being given. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I do think he's pretty great. And super cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A big good job! As a junior high English teacher, I'm VERY impressed!! I love reading your blog and reading your struggles and successes. I think you and Tyler are remarkable! After reading your posts for the past few months, there is no way we could have taken on this type of experience but are so proud of you and your family!! We love and miss you guys! (BTW...titles of books are now italicized according MLA formatting if using the computer. If handwriting, they're underlined since you can't distinguish italicizing from "normal" handwriting. There...my English teacher two-cents worth. ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that is awesome, too. I want to give my son this assignment, too. I'll let you know how this works out. I like The Outsiders.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was so fun to read. You are such a great Mom, glad you got some credit for it.

    ReplyDelete