Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Dreaded Lesson

Thanks for all the encouragement for my little lesson. Here's an update.

Friday I got a call from the pianist. The soloist lady had called her to complain about the song I asked her to sing!! Can you believe?? If it is really, truly that big of a deal to her, she should have just told me a flat out no, which I eventually decided she did in a round about way. So the very diplomatic pianist suggested a different song and told me that the soloist had told her that she would sing whatever she, the pianist, chose. Fine. I actually really like the other song a lot. I just had to REDO my lesson to fit it in. Whatever. I put on my big girl panties and did it.

And then in the middle of a Christmas party Saturday night, I get a phone call (which I did not answer) from the pianist. I already knew what she was going to say. Do you know what she said? Bet you can guess.

Yep.

That's right.

Soloist didn't like that song either. Later, after the party, I called the pianist back. She told me that she had asked the soloist to just pick a song. That seemed to appease the soloist who had said, hear this,

'It's not like people are going to be able to follow along with the lesson anyhow.'

Being in the fragile state that I am, I was slightly offended. Is she implying that my lessons are difficult to follow? Is she implying that I don't present well? At this time I sent a text to my friend who is in charge of conducting the meeting and told her that I was not going to be there, to just sing Christmas songs the whole time.

But then I remembered that I had put on my big girl panties and redid the lesson yet again to incorporate the song.

It was about 10:30 p.m. when I finished.

This morning when I got to church bright and early to put programs together and set up, I realized I had left my music at home. (For one song I was going to play a recording.) Huz raced home to get it for me. And then took the time to move gingerbread houses and let the dog out before he came back. When I tried to pull the song up, it had been deleted off my ipad. GRRRR. No problemo. I'll just down load it again. Except we couldn't get any internet connection!! So, I read the words. Lame. Oh well, what do you do. Everyone was soooo nice and made a point to tell me how wonderful my lesson had been which leads me to believe that it wasn't really that wonderful. Because let's face it, it wasn't. And when people go out of their way to make you feel good about something that you know was absolutely mediocre, you know they are just trying to be nice. On a bright note, we found out that the internet connection at our building does not work so now we can have it fixed...

BoyOne has been asking me for a hair cut for about two weeks. I finally had some time last night after finishing my lesson so we headed into the bathroom. I had him describe to me the cut he wanted. He asked for the area on the top of his head (imagine the area that the little Jewish hat, the kippah, would cover) to be cut to about 3/4 inch with the remaining hair on his head to be left long.

Sorry Charlie. No can do. Two reasons. 1) He would freak when he saw how ridiculous he looked, 2) He would look ridiculous.

I told him that this wasn't a popular look in America and suggested a couple other cuts. He insisted that his friends had their hair cut like this. I knew he was full of crappola, so I told him to tell me the names of these friends with this haircut so I could visualize what he was describing. He had no names to give me. I told him I could not do that haircut because I wasn't sure how to. I was trying to be nice. I should have just told him he'd look like a dork, or just done the haircut and LET him look like a dork. But, I said what I did and he. was. pissed.

He didn't talk to me again until tonight at about 8. All because I would not cut his hair. Holy act like a baby!!! He was all sulky and wouldn't eat. Too bad, so sad for him. We went ahead and ate without him. I am not going to play his dumb little games. He is such a grump when he wants to be. Why would anyone choose that way of life? I just do not understand. GAH!! It is so annoying. Just remembering how annoying it is is making me feel annoyed.

To end the weekend, we helped several kids finish the following projects: a report, scenery for a play, and science vocabulary definitions and drawings.

I have a friend who has ten kids. Nine of them are still at home.

HOW IN THE WORLD DO YOU DO IT????
She is my hero.

BoyTwo is in a five point harness car seat. It's actually been really wonderful knowing that he will be staying in his seatbelt and not climbing around, opening doors and goofing off while I drive. Phew. We're all a little safer now.

BoyOne had a first about a week ago. He used a hand mixer for the first time. He loved it. So far all of my kids love to bake and cook like I do. Except BoyTwo, who I have not given the opportunity to for safety reasons. By the way, he still touches the stove e.v.e.r.y single time it's on. And yes, he knows it is on because it is bright red with a pan on it. And yes, every time he yells 'OUCH!' He doesn't learn by experience. I know a couple of things that this could be caused by. We'll have to wait to see if it's just him being Stitch, or if it is an impairment.

4 comments:

  1. Hey! I think I know that haircut! It think it is the same one my son had when we first met, and it is the same haircut he still wants. I call it a pineapple, which is only long at the bangs.
    Ive also seen some Eastern-European boys with it cut long at the nape, which I think looks dorky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is it with the hair? Holy cow. Pasha keeps telling me that he wants to grow his long in the back and have it come to a point and also have it come to a point in the front, with the sides shaved. Gross. Can you say hideous?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex is on a "growing out his hair into a shag" kick except he has sideburns like a werewolf. I sent him to my friend - a hairdresser - this afternoon and told him he'd need to communicate what he wants - as all he wanted was his sideburns and neck cleaned up. Last time I did this he said NOTHING and came back with a nice short hair cut. (I was hoping that might happen again?) But this time he was brave and actually communicated his need for long hair. I think what he wants is a mullet. Like the ones the bigger boys had in the orphanage. Bleh. Give me strength.
    Serving in RS is not for the tender heart-ed - that's all I can say. In fact serving anywhere requires pulling on lots of big girl panties!

    ReplyDelete