Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Words

Interesting aside, I purchased a pocket sized Russian/English dictionary for BoyOne. He was like a three year old on Christmas morning. Had I known that such a simple thing would provide so much joy and entertainment, I would have either pulled it out a week ago to lighten his mood, or saved it for Christmas. You can't beat an $8 golden gift!!

As I started to put it into his backpack for use tomorrow, I held it up and called out to him so that he would see it. He practically danced over to me and, holding it with both hands, waltzed to the kitchen, grabbed a piece of lined paper, and sat at the table. He scribbled furiously. I began to hope/wonder if he was preparing an apology note for me, but then I reminded myself that he was a teenage BOY, and kept doing the dishes. He kept giggling and writing and giggling and writing. Finally, Huz went over to the table and sat next to him so as to read his 'list' of words. On the left hand side of the paper was the word in Russian. On the right hand side, the English translated word.

"What is he writing?" I asked.

"Wif, this is the most random list of words I have ever seen," answered Huz. (yes, we really do call each other Huz and Wif)

Then he began to read the list. It truly was random. I came over to the table to join the fun. BoyOne kept looking up words, very decisively, and writing them down, giggling the whole time. So, if there is some code in here that we are missing, or some funny Ukrainian inside joke, do tell. Otherwise, enjoy the randomness...

lad
paralysis
burn
partner
fern
stub
first class
dummy
forever
fellow
worm
possible
witch
(if witch, burn, and paralysis had been any closer together, I may have been concerned for my personal safety, but I'm feeling okay right now. Probably sleep with one eye open just to be safe..:))
string
hole
friend
title holder
dentures
case

?!

5 comments:

  1. Wish I had one of those for $8. I'd probably be giggling all the way home, too. Otherwise, I think I'm going to get Pimslur and teach myself Russian. However, it would be intersting to know whether or not your divice translates any of those four-letter words/phrases. He may be trying to translate Russian slang, but the device gives him only a close approximation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. I think the "slang" part might be true. But I think you're safe if he starts calling people a "first class worm stub" or a "forever fern witch." What the heck? How funny but the fact that he's happy about it - slang words or not - if fabulous! Save it and next year ask him about it. Just this week I learned a whole lot about Alex and his stealing habits in Ukraine. The kids are like onions. (Just like ogres!) Just a layer at a time. And some of those layers are very thick and resistant.
    Hope school is going well and that you're catching your breath during the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie-

    This made me laugh. Every once in a while I find a little paper with English words written on it by Pasha. Like he meant to look them up and then forgot. Usually they are very random words and I cannot possibly tell how they relate to each other. It just cracks me up. Pasha has started to string a few words together to make a sentence. "Mom, where you put my backpack?" Only 2 months later. I am amazed at how quickly he is learning. (Despite the school). :) But that is another story all together. Call me sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Nope. No inside joke that I'm aware of. The entertainment value was good though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My best guess is that maybe the words sound similar in Russian and English, making them the easiest ones to learn... Most of the words I know in Russian are ones that sound almost the same as they do in English... just a guess though

    ReplyDelete