Tuesday, October 2, 2012

g

BoyTwo knew what this letter was at 1:00 p.m. today when we reviewed letters of the alphabet.  There were several that he did not know (true to character, it's a different few each time), but he knew 'g'.  Now, at 6:03 p.m., he has no idea.  He's guessed j (four different times now, twice in a row even!!), e, and u so far and has been trying to remember for ten. minutes.

What is this????  I don't even know how to help this!!!

Last Thursday when we reviewed the alphabet (a daily occurrence) he didn't know 6 of the letters.  I can't remember which 6, but whatever.  I fed him lunch and then we worked on letters at 12:40.  The next day his teacher told me that she had tested him yesterday (meaning Thursday) on the alphabet right before I picked him up (at 11:30 a.m.) and he knew every single letter and sound (which honestly I'm skeptical of.  I've never seen or heard him do this ever.  With anyone.  I don't think she's lying to me, but maybe she misheard him??)

Seriously???  An hour and maybe 20 minutes later he could not remember 6 of them???

How do you help someone overcome this??  I don't even know what to do to help him!

oh my heck!  he just told me 'I know it's NOT 'g''.
ugggggggggghhhhhhhhhh

6:42 p.m.
somehow, somehow!  he knows the word cone.  this is how the past four minutes have gone:

'k-o-n-e, can'
me-try again
'k-o'
me-BoyTwo it's not a k.  what letter is that?
'c.  s-o-n-e'
me-BoyTwo what letter is that?!  you just said c, but then said s.  which is it?
'k'

and on and on. obviously he doesn't really know the word cone then if more than half the time he says it is 'can' or 'sone' or 'jump'

4 comments:

  1. I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. Amelia does the same thing. If you find out what's going on, fill me in, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, man it is so hard. Pasha is in 7th grade now. It is going to kill me. My favorite part, Pasha does not want to put any effort into any school work. He thinks that it should be all fun and games. Also, when I ask him about it he says "why do you care, they are my grades." Really? He honestly cannot understand why we are concerned. Everything is so short term for him. It is all about the here and now. Grrr. Some days I am so exhausted I just might die.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Show him the homeless shelter. And we need to get together

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just ask our oldest if he wants to work at McDonalds, ride the bus, and not have very much money to take care of himself and his family. Seems to work for a 17-18 year old. He is actually working very hard. It is hard to believe that 17 months ago we were just coming home with three children that did not speak any English.

    Those letters that you gave as examples are a bit challenging, my children mess up sometimes on them but are doing it less often. This may be beyond your sons ability right now, but at some point, you can point out that when "c" is followed by an "e, i, or y" it says "s" all the rest of the time it says "k".

    Anne

    Anne

    ReplyDelete