Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Yard Sale, Best Week Ever, and Warm Heart

This past Saturday, One and her friend asked if they could have a yard sale.  I told them that they could not.  They asked again, saying that they were only selling their own things, so I agreed (gave in).  After I helped them adjust a few prices (a shirt marked at $11 that probably originally sold for $11 was remarked at $1), they sat up their card table and the neighbor kids in our circle swarmed in like bees on soda pop.

During the day I noticed how many cars were driving through our circle.  Because we are at the end of a culdesac (clearly marked as a dead end), we rarely get extra traffic.  There is the occasional car that makes its way up to our house, but not frequently.  Because I have better things to do than wonder at the oddity of random cars cruising our little street, I let it go.  Later that day, as I ran to the store I noticed a 'Yard Sale' sign clear out on the main road, with arrows, leading cars to our house, thus the extra traffic.  It made me laugh to think that all these poor people had trooped up here only to find two little girls selling 15 stuffed animals, flip flops made of duct tape and an overpriced t-shirt.  Somehow they managed to each make $4 (courtesy of the neighbors and siblings.  It bugs that these little 'sales' just recycle more crap into the house, but it kept them all busy.  pick your battles, stephanie).

This week I am in charge of 'Teacher Appreciation Week' at the elementary school.  This means that I've been doing a lot of extra baking and cooking.  Tuesday, when the kids woke up to cinnamon rolls, they declared this 'the best week ever!'

And last night, after everyone pitching in to pick up the disaster that we call home, as BoyTwo headed up the stairs to put his clean clothes away he called down to me,

'Mom!  My heart feels warm and good!  It feel this because I help and do good thing!'

"That's right BoyTwo, that is Heavenly Father telling you that you are doing a good job.  It's so nice when our hearts feel good, isn't it."

And then he put his warm, feeling good heart to bed with the rest of the crazies.  It was a beautiful thing to see him finally (after eight long months of expecting it to happen, then desperately hoping for it to happen, then seriously doubting the likelihood of it happening and then feeling hopeful again) feel something.

2 comments:

  1. Hurray Boy Two!!!
    Ahh....sales. At our house it's popcorn and punch and sometimes cookies. At least they're just sitting out in front of your house and not going door to door selling hostess mini donuts for $1 each. (Yes, that happened to me a few weeks ago - some of Rylee's class mates - they really over estimated the attraction of bite sized powdered donuts!)
    If I awoke to the smell of baking cinnamon rolls, I too would proclaim it the best week ever! (Especially if I wasn't the one that woke up to make said rolls!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for the whole Holbrook family. At times like that it makes it all seem worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete