Friday, December 10, 2010

Здравствуйте!

Hello!

That's what that big long word up there says. In Russian. I decided to learn Russian. I really like foreign languages, even though I only speak English. I used to be fairly fluent in Spanish, but then I lost it. That's what happens when you never speak it. First you can't remember the words to speak. Before you know it, you can't even understand it anymore. It's like touching your toes. You can so easily reach them, you think you'll never not be able to. Well, guess what. You turn 30, your kid asks you if you can reach your toes and you say "of course" and start to bend over. You feel this weird burning sensation that you realize is muscles that haven't been used in forever being stretched. You push a little harder and feel the blood run toward your head. You grunt a little and open your eyes so you can see your fingers touch your toes except when you open your eyes and focus you realize you are touching YOUR KNEES!!!! What in the world happened?!

Anyhow... when the boys were here a funny thing happened. I think it's natural for most people to talk slower than usual or louder than usual when speaking to someone who doesn't speak their language, as if it may help the person understand them. (Great story: Huz's awesome 92 year old grandma was eating dinner with some Germans one time about 15 years ago and was trying to ask them if they would like some corn. She said, "The Indians call it maize." hahahahaha. That always makes me laugh.) For whatever weird reason I somehow managed to pull from the cobwebs of my dormant brain Spanish. I would first say it in English, as BoyOne actually understood more than I had expected. Then he would say, "BoyOne no speak English." Then, instead of speaking slower or louder, I would start speaking in Spanish. What?!? A language I had not spoken in twelve years?! I didn't even know that I knew those words any more. BoyOne would say "BoyOne no speak..." and kind of hold his hands out like "Lady, what language is that?" You want to know what's even weirder? When I try to speak Spanish intentionally, I can't remember anything?! When I talk to the boys on the phone though, it falls out of my mouth. So weird.

Back to the original intent of the post. I found this fabulous website, russianlessons.com, that teaches Russian for FREE folks!! It is written and parts of it are audio. Jackpot! I love it. I started to feel smart again. I rediscovered my brain:) Russian is fabulous because each letter makes only one sound, unlike the English language (i.e. c says both kuh and sss) so everything is phonetic! It's so easy to read! And they don't mince words either. We say, "Please pass the butter." They say "Butter please." They don't use words like she or the. I have learned their alphabet, their numbers and basic phrases and restaurant language. By the way, they don't have a song that they sing their alphabet to, so I borrowed "Itsy Bitsy Spider." It works great and made it sooo much easier for me to remember.

In a nutshell, I'm happy to know that I can still remember things besides how to put on a diaper (someone else's, not mine) and these lessons are giving me something to do when I don't feel like doing laundry.

I also want to thank everybody for your support through this adventure. Thank you also for all of your sweet comments and phone calls and texts. It's nice to know that there are people out there and that maybe we all have something in common. Maybe even more than we thought.

Good night and happiness to all!

3 comments:

  1. I can SO relate to your speaking Spanish! My husband did that to the girls ALL THE TIME! It was so funny because he'd start out with a Russian word and then I could tell he'd flip to Spanish. "Uh...Honey? That was Spanish, not Russian." At least with me, my second language is ASL so when I'd flip into signing it wasn't so weird. :^)

    I am so going to check out that website. I really really want to get the Rosetta Stone Russian program, but I don't have the money for it. This should tide me over.

    By the way...I loved your touching your toes thing. Awesome. :^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will love this website! I checked out several and this was by far my favorite. I love ASL, by the way. We used sign with my second daughter who had some problems. Her first sign was for candy. haha. Have you talked to Ira again? Talk to you later!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teheehee.
    Once we got home we went to a Chinese restaurant where the server had a very thick accent, after repeating herself numerous times I sort of looked at Alex, expecting him to understand - I felt again like I was in Ukraine and I was so use to looking to him for translation. He, of course, couldn't understand her Chinese-lish and just shrugged. I listened harder and then answered her question correctly. My other children were in awe. They claim I can understand people with accents better after returning from Ukraine. Really I can't. I'm just better at guessing what they're saying, and pretending I understand.
    But I must admit, I can speak with a fabulous Russian accent at the drop of a hat!
    I did study Rosetta Stone a little and it wasn't very helpful. I also checked out CD's at the library and learned the all important phrase "Ya ne pina my-o Poruski" which is the phonetic spelling for "I do not understand Russian." I spit that out about a hundred times on our adventure!
    SO impressed you've learned more!

    ReplyDelete