Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Back in the Saddle Again...

School has started.  We missed the first day because we were in TN!! visiting my parents.  That will be another post.  Wish we were still there.

Anyhow!  The kids first day of school was on August 23, a Thursday.  It was 'early out' the whole three days of school that week (two for us because we missed the first one).  

The month leading up to school starting I was a wreck!  Every time I thought of BoyTwo being in school again and I would have serious anxiety.  I would start having trouble breathing, my heart would race, I would panic.  Odd, I thought, that I am so stressed out about this.

Then, while I was in TN, I decided to clear out a bunch of text messages I had saved that I had sent to Huz.  They were all about BoyTwo.  Shocking, I know:)  As I started reading them I vaguely remembered thinking that it would be a great way to look back at all the progress he had made during the school year.  

hahahahhahahahahahahahha.

not.

There were over 300 texts about his bad behavior.  

THREE HUNDRED!!!

People.  There aren't even 300 days of school in a year!!!  These weren't texts that talked about sassing his teacher or refusing to do his work, because let's be honest, that was an every day occurrence and not worthy of a text message.  Nosirreeeee, each of these texts were about more serious offenses.  i.e. chair throwing, punching, kicking in the groin, choking, stabbing with pencils and screwdrivers, stealing, etc.

As I read through these I started having trouble breathing, my heart was racing, I felt panicked.  Hmmm.....  Could this be WHY I was dreading the start of school?!

I had been feeling that I should only send BoyTwo for the morning hours of school.  I knew that he did the very best when he was in his classroom in a very controlled environment.  I knew that every. single. day. at lunch there was a problem.  Most afternoons were less than stellar.  It seemed obvious to me, but I was getting a little push back from various sources which made me question my gut.

Then, I knew.  I knew that the real reason I had kept those texts, which I hadn't known clear back when I was saving them, was to remind myself that I knew what was best for BoyTwo.  I let everyone know that BoyTwo would be coming to school in from start time until lunchtime.  Each day I meet him as his class comes down the hall for lunch.  The turn left into the lunchroom and we turn right and get into the car and drive home.  He eats lunch with me, we read together and he takes a nap.

And so here we are, day four of school (we also missed Tuesday of this week to take a 'Family Day' where we went to see a temple that has been built near us and to have lunch together) and I'm confident that this is the best decision for us right now.

School for the others?  I like all of the kids' teachers.  I am doing a lot of 'ironing things out' with BoyOne's curriculum, but this is to be expected.  The kids are happy.  Yay!!  I have met with the girls' who have IEPs and 504s teachers and the meetings went well.  I really need to post about SPD sometime.  It's one of those invisible disabilities that is difficult for others to understand.  It's been a journey.  Another time.  

Here's a real quick 'a day in the life' story for you.

Third day of school, Monday, August 27.
Before school, 8-8:15a.m.:
BoyTwo has a bloody nose.
Four grabs the hot curling iron with her bare hand.
Riley, the dog we just inherited from Huz's parents over the weekend, runs away.  grrrr.  
Three throws up all over herself at the breakfast table because she is so stressed about having to read.

How was your day? 

6 comments:

  1. Oh gosh! At the least you can be consoled that you will have some good writing material now that school has started?
    Good luck with the new school year. Hope you get your mornings to yourself and have a minute to recharge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you back writting about the kids and the journey. Oft times I read your blogs and say to that I should count my blessings. However, doesn't seem to be any to count. Hang in there, you and Tyler are good people. It will all work out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be the Aunt Jan of the group. You can send them one at a time to come live with me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry - sometimes I just have to laugh. Your posts are funny.

    However, I also see the serious side. My son's been here for four years as of April 2013. He finished first grade here, completed second grade, third grade, and fourth grade, and is now in fifth grade. Next month on the 14th, I will have my FIRST official meeting with the school regarding his education. I say "official" because there have been other impromptu meetings. This, however, is neither an IEP nor a 504 meeting; it is an RTI meeting. And, it's with my coworkers. This should be good. In any case, your post inspired me to do my research and to be sure I am prepared...for his sake. Thanks for being an inspiration, and make sure you get the help/assistance you need. If I lived closer, I'd offer my home for the kids to hang out at sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha...those are the moments you laugh. Glad you made it home. It was SO fun to see you in TN!

    ReplyDelete